1. Helping out at home w/o pay
2. Your parent as a supervisor signature
Social distancing policies are still in place for the 2020-2021 school year, students will not be required to do service work outside the home. Below you will find suggestions for distance service opportunities.
Be sure to check Schoology for service opportunities
Prayer before Service (Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta)
I may rely on You.
that with the simple faith of a child,
Take from my heart all the guile and worldliness
and a true realization of the privilege that is mine.
of my suffering fellow men and women,
strength to lift up a part of the burden
Give me singleness of purpose,
kindness and meekness to my heart.
clear vision to my mind,
I pray, give skill to my hands,
since every perfect gift must come from You.
Dear Lord, the Great Healer, I kneel before You,
This service requirement is based on the example of Jesus who came “not to be served but to serve” (Mt 20:26). Service is an integral part of educating the whole child. Through service, our students will gain a sense of empathy for others, leading to a desire to contribute to our community through acts of service. It will also help to develop their teamwork and leadership skills.
- Students will be required to complete a designated number of hours each year and complete a written reflection of their service including Scriptural references and knowledge of faith learned in their Theology class. It is the individual student’s responsibility to provide their theology teacher with written documentation of the service performed.
Middle school students – 15hr
9th grade students – 20hrs
10th grade students – 30hrs
11th & 12th grades students – 40hrs
- Incomplete hours will result in an incomplete grade in Theology for that grading quarter. After one week, the incomplete will convert to a grade reduced by a letter grade.
- Required hours can be divided between service to Church, school and community - the 3 pillars. Organizations should be non-profit & engaged in activities that are not contrary to Catholic teaching.
- Community service hours: half must be completed before Christmas break, and the rest before Easter break.
- Each grade will have a service activity but not all service requirements can or will be met in conjunction with school. Examplesof organizations within the 3 pillars:
Church: Community: School:
Local Churches Urban League Retreat Team
VBS Harvest Hope Christian Service Team
Catholic Charities Transitions CNDM
- Select a program or other non-profit organization from the pre-approved agency list. If the organization is not on the list, the student may seek pre-approval from the Service Coordinator.
- Print and fill out the requested information on the verification form and turn into your theology teacher.